Tuesday, May 6, 2008

How Do the Words/Images of Magazines Convince Readers That They Need a Product?

I recently browsed through a furniture magazine and noticed several things about the advertisement. For one, the ad had a young woman modeling against some of the furniture on some of the pages. She had on plenty of makeup and was dressed up in a racer’s outfit. I had to wonder about this tactic. Also, I couldn’t help but notice the way the words “jumped out” at me from the page. The words and sale prices were in bold print and outlined twice in bright, bold colors. Catchy phrases such as “you gotta believe it” caught my attention. Each page showcased a different room in a typical house. The furniture and accessories were beautifully arranged in each room. Each display had a cozy, inviting appearance that drew me into the rooms. The advertisement was a clever tactic to subliminally lure me as a prospective buyer.

No comments: