Monday, May 5, 2008

The Traditions, Beliefs, Rules, and Forces that Shaped My Identity.

I am an American of West Indian descent. Because I am the only person born in America, apart from my brothers and sisters, my home was mainly surrounded by West Indian influence of both my parents and other relatives. My parents and most of my relatives are Jamaican with some English and Cuban influence mingled within. My culture places strong emphasis on becoming a distinguished individual by pursuing the highest form of education possible to obtain. My culture reveres its elders and considers them a well of wisdom. Marriage is highly regarded and considered very sacred within my family. My family and I are very religious. At times I did not always follow the rules and live up to the standards my family upheld. As the saying goes “when in Rome, do as the Romans do” and sometimes I did so in order to fit in with my peers.

No comments: